Friday 28 September 2012

Barnet Press: "Conservatives seek legal advice as Coleman defies apology order"


Link to web site

"THE Barnet Conservative group is seeking legal advice, after Brian Coleman defied orders to apologise for accusing members of the public of anti-semitism.

"Council leader Richard Cornelius said he is awaiting advice from party lawyers before deciding what action to take against the controversial councillor, who was told to say sorry for showing disrespect to two residents.

"... Last week Mr Coleman was detained by police on suspicion of assaulting a woman on Finchley High Road. He has been bailed to return to a north London police station in late October."

2 comments:

  1. Did they seek legal advice of their own volition as soon as the time was up or because they received a reminder from the affected parties that the apologies were overdue?

    If I was a betting man, which I'm not (you may have heard this phrase uttered at a recent committeee meeting chaired by one BC) I would say the latter was the case.

    I haven't seen the wording of the Order of the tribunal but I doubt it specifies any wording for the apology so all that is needed is this:

    Dear Mr Cohen / Dr Jago

    I am sorry.

    Yours etc

    BC

    Not hard and will only take a few seconds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I happen to know that at least one of the complainants knew nothing about the deadline for apology being ignored, and I believe that nothing would have happened of the party had not made enquiries, at my suggestion, from the Monitoring Officer. Pretty damn shabby all round.

    ReplyDelete