Sunday 13 May 2012

Daily Telegraph: "Taking on the litterbugs: hurrah for the heroine keeping Britain tidy"

Link to web site

"Alice Arnold, the BBC announcer, has become a national heroine by tossing a plastic bottle back into a car from which a passenger had thrown it. In view of the growing perversity of our law-enforcement agencies, she was lucky not to be charged with threatening behaviour, or worse.

"... Two experiences caused me to become interested in litter as a social, or anti-social, phenomenon in Britain. The first was when I drove 400 miles from London to Glasgow. The side of the road, every yard of the way, was heavily littered, mainly with the detritus of millions of snacks. On that journey, I came to the conclusion that in Britain polythene grows on trees."



Link to The Guardian
The Guardian: "Alice Arnold: litter, Twitter and my media storm"

"When I got more than 100 responses to my tweet about throwing a plastic bottle back into the car from which it had been lobbed, I was surprised. I was even more surprised when the Evening Standard phoned my partner, Clare Balding, the next morning and asked to speak to me about it. That day the article was printed and I thought that would be the end of it. I was wrong.


"On Wednesday I headed off to TV Centre to read the news on Radio 4, and opened my emails to find more than 20 requests for media appearances – the Jeremy Vine Show on Radio 2, BBC TV Breakfast, the Daily Mail asking me to ghost-write a column, the Telegraph asking for a quote and Radio Coventry, quite determined to have me as a live guest."

No comments:

Post a Comment