Saturday 16 July 2011

Daily Telegraph: "Why has Britain turned into a giant rubbish bin?"

Link to Daily Telegraph

"On a recent visit to Manchester I walked down Oxford Road. The thoroughfare is the haunt of students, there being two universities along it, Manchester and Manchester Metropolitan. I do not recall a filthier street anywhere, and I have visited more than 80 countries.

"Britain was not always so filthy. I suspect that it is the result of a toxic mixture of excessive individualism (there is no such thing as society), and of an easily inflamed awareness of inalienable rights (who are you to tell me what to do? I know my rights). What I do is right because it is I who do it; the customer is always right, and life is my supermarket.

"'Litter: How Other People's Rubbish Shapes Our Lives' by Theodore Dalrymple (Gibson Square, £9.99) is available from Telegraph Books at £9.99 plus 99p p&p. Call 0844 871 1515 or visit www.books.telegraph.co.uk."

No comments:

Post a Comment